Christmas Gnomes

Inspired by my fall gnome, I decided to make some holiday gnomes for Christmas!

First, I made two large ones similar to my fall gnome to sit outside our house. I took two tomato cages and wrapped them with lighted garland. I then sewed to hats using 20″ square pieces of fleece in holiday colors and positioned those over the top. I made two noses using sections of old stockings stuffed with batting and tied them onto the garland at the edge of the hats.

All I needed next was a couple extension cords to get them set up outside!

Next, I thought I’d bring some gnomes inside. To make them, I needed some old fuzzy socks, an old athletic sock, rice, faux fur, rubber bands, scissors, blush and a glue gun.

First, I cut the top half off of the athletic sock and filled it with rice. Folding it over the rim of a cup helped get the rice in more neatly.

Once I had it the size I wanted, I closed the top of the sock using a rubber band. This would be the gnome’s body. I then cut the top off of an old fuzzy sock and slipped the foot piece over the gnome’s body so he’d have clothes.

I gave him a nose by pinching some of the rice into a section of the white sock near the top and securing it with another rubber band. I brushed on a little blush to give it some color.

I then cut a different fuzzy sock in half (I chose a festive looking one) and stuffed it with scraps from the athletic sock to make it stand up a bit and slipped it over the top of the body to become his hat. I balled up the toe and secured it with a rubber band so it would look like a pom pom at the tip of the hat.

Next, I cut a beard shape from a rectangle piece of faux fur and used my glue gun to secure it onto the body and up under his nose.

I pulled and twisted some sections of the fur to make it look like a mustache and ta da…cute holiday gnome!