Wine Bottle Light

I saw a wine bottle hanging candle holder and it sparked my latest crafting craze. There are so many cool things you could make out of recycled wine bottles or any round bottle for that matter. A hanging light, a candle holder, a planter, wind chimes, unlimited possibilities… I decided to start with a hanging light.

You can buy bottle cutters online, but that meant I would have to delay my project. So…a quick search of YouTube and I had instructions on how to make my own. I couldn’t find some of the parts the man in the video used, so I improvised (I like to do that!). Here are some photos on my bottle cutter being created:

A piece of scrap wood and three fixed wheels. The fourth “corner” will get a bracket the same height as the wheels.

A glass cutter is clamped onto the bracket. You can adjust it’s placement so that it just touches the bottle when it is placed on the wheels.

Now it was time to try it out and “cut” my first bottle.

Bottle ready to be “cut”.

After etching around the bottle, you alternate pouring boiling water and cold water over “cut” line until the section falls off.

Bottle cut and the edge polished with a little wet sand paper, it was now time to decorate.

Using glass glue, I glued glass florist beads tot he bottle.

First, I put a small light socket fixture I found at Home Depot into the bottle and then screwed in a nightlight bulb. Then I inserted a chain for hanging and used a keyring at the end to keep it from slipping back out the neck of the bottle.

The finished light!

2 Responses