April “Fowls” Day

Every year I do this and every year I post about it. Since my kids were very little, I have always made an April Fools Day meal. You can check out some of my past creations on my April Fools page under Edible Art in the page menu. It’s usually dinner when we are all together, but one year I did lunch. I sent some surprises to school in their lunch boxes which included Chips Ahoy cookie bags that I had filled with baby carrots and resealed! Every year we sit around the table and talk and laugh about these. Keep in mind, my children are 23, 20 and 17 now, and they still love this tradition. I was informed last night that I will be required to keep doing this for future grandchildren!

I’ve had successes and failures over the years. The most spectacular fail was a couple years ago when I, gasp…didn’t follow directions carefully, and baked my “cocktail weenies” at 375° instead of 325°. Look at the pictures below to see how important oven temps (AND following directions) are!

What I was going for.

My “cocktail weenies” were looking good! It’s marzipan logs wrapped in sugar cookie dough by the way.

This is what I got. Directions, directions, directions!

So a couple days ago I began to think about it, searched on the internet, and came up with this year’s April Fools Day meal…buffalo chicken wings. What really grabbed me were the small number of ingredients necessary AND the fact that I had them in my house already. This is what I needed:

Rice Krispies

marshmallows

butter

marshmallow creme or Fluff

brown sugar

orange juice

orange or red food coloring optional

And this is what I did:

1. I whipped up a batch of Rice Krispies treats according to microwave directions on the marshmallow bag. Basically it’s just a few tablespoons butter and a bag of marshmallows melted in microwave for 45 seconds, then 6 cups of cereal messily mixed in.

2. I then buttered my washed hands (important because this stuff is sticky) and began pressing handfuls of the mixture into balls and then shaped them into “chicken wings”.

3. I let the “wings” set for about an hour.

4. I made a “buffalo” glaze by mixing 1 cup of firmly packed brown sugar and 3 tablespoons orange juice in a pot on the stove. I stirred it for about 5 minutes as it gently bubbled and thickened up a bit. I then added a little food coloring to make it more buffalo-saucy.

5. I then rolled each “wing” in the glaze and set it on parchment paper to cool and set. Careful! The glaze is hot, especially at first. You have to also be quick because the heat of the sauce begins to re-melt the marshmallow in the Krispies treats and they’ll fall apart. It began to get too thick when it had cooled down some, so I warmed it on the stove again to make it a little easier to work with.

6. While they sat, I made my “blue cheese dressing” by mixing marshmallow creme with a little water and added cut up marshmallow pieces to make it look chunky.

7. I put everything on plates for the family and called them to the table. I was going to make celery with green fondant, but gave up on that idea because of time and added a couple stalks of the real stuff for garnish.

As always, we all laughed and enjoyed another April Fools Day meal!